Lembaga Maintenance's Leadership Camp 2009

-proudly presented to you by a Catholic High School form 4 student- (bahasa rojak)

Hi. As you all know by now, my name is Kristy. I am also a form 4 member who joined Catholic High School's Lembaga Maintenance since form 1. =)

Recently, a camp was organised by this club at Nur Lembah Pangsun, Hulu Langat, Selangor. And yes, this post will be dedicated for this once-in-a-lifetime amazing trip.

So, please sit back and enjoy reading. ^^

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


the 1st day

The cold wind from my mum's car's air conditioner engulfed me, but I took little notice as the rate of my heartbeat became twice as fast as it normally would. The brown pupils of my eyes took in the scenary before me: people hurried everywhere they go as they quickly rushed to finish their tasks. Some were seen labelling their belongings with their group's coloured ribbon or string whereas some overlook the scene while giving out orders to other people. My body became stiff as this was the destination for that 6 a.m. on 1st of June, 2009.

The gold Honda CRV that my mum drove did a mini U-turn in the tapak perhimpunan so that I do not have to go so far just to drop the belongings that are in my mother's car boot. The safety belt was unlatched as I then opened the car door and went down to arrange and put my stuff at the line where all Red members were supposed to put their belongings.

That morning, we were briefed by the committees about the camp and what we are supposed to do that during the duration of our stay. We were reminded that it was the time to prove ourselves as future leaders and to jaga the maruah diri of our club and school. We were also told that each of us would have a Guardian Angel to guide each of us, and in turn, we must also become someone else's Guardian Angel. =)

Sadly, we could not choose or be chosen as it was already done by the committees. Then, they told us how the whistle works. Whenever one committee blowed the whistle:-

1 time : the head of the group must go forward

2 times: the head and the assistant head of the group must go forward

3 times: everybody must line up and the slogan of the group and the tepukan must be done by the whole group with high volume and in high spirits

Furthermore, we were each given 2 books (rule and explanation book and diary) and 2 eggs (one normal egg and one bird egg). These must be included in the Safe Keeping along with our name tags and group flag which will be checked by committees when they felt like it. Furthermore, they asked to do our tepukan and shout our slogan after 3 rounds around the tapak perhimpunan.

My eardrums almost burst when each of the 6 groups ( Red, Orange, Blue, Green, Yellow, and Purple) did that. It was not only confusing, but also messy. ==" In fact, we got a scolding from the committees and were ordered to set it right. Everybody rushed like siao as we began our training. In the end, we did it until the committees were satisfied. Before we carried all our belongings to the bus, we were given breakfast of ham bun and one bottle of mineral water. We also saw how the committees punish us by asking latecomers to pump (males) and pull ears (females) . Now, I know why they asked us to train our stamina, especially the guys.

We, Saphira members (Red Group) sat with the Lilac Flames (purple) and another group in the same bus. Because we get to go on the bus first, we manage to take the backseats, where cold air loves to hang out. Anyway, sitting around me were my other group members. Oh, wait. I have not introduced you to them.

Red Group

Committees-in-charge: Ong Chang Meng - C17

Dennis - D24

Head: Narongrit - Draco

Assistant Head: Yee Sim - Pika

Members: Ka Yean - Sky, Jian Fei - Fei Ge, Me - Kimchi, Wen Yiang - L, Sau Wei - Winter, Pau Yee - Emo and Amy - Meow.

It was quite boring as all we did was memorised quotes and discussed about our drama as the buildings, cars and advertisements boards passed by. In good time, we reached the camp where we unloaded our belongings. Many of us had to take more than 2 rounds to fetch all our belongings, which not only included the stuff we need to use for three days, it also included our ingredients for that day's lunch.

Then, we then take all that we could carry towards LDK 6 which will be the place where we will gather most for the next three days. As we passed by many buildings, I caught a glimpsed of Zhi Jian observing all of us. Not only that, I was shocked at the maintenance of the buildings, especially the toilets that we females have to used for bathing and relieving ourselves. It was disgusting and it had an eerie aura.

However, we were then asked to stay in a camp which can only consists of three people. I shared a tent with Eunice and Pi Lian. After that, we prepared our lunch. Some groups started early and manage to start the fire. However, I was assigned to the task of cleaning and cutting the vegetables, including the brinjals and bitter gourds which were extra compulsory ingredients given to us for our cooking by the committees. Therefore, my memory of this competition was of me cutting the vegetables as fast as I could. In fact, I was also assigned to take care of the food which was ready at LDK 6.

Then, we were allowed to eat after the dishes were introduced by each of the groups. Our fish and Ribena was adored whereas our poor chickens were rejected by Dennis as it was not cooked properly. After that, Talent Time began which included us introducing and explaining about our group's flag, T-shirts, name tags and face painting. The questions and criticising that was shot at us reminded me of the way they talked to me during LM's post-mortem about the LM Anniversary.

Anyway, my menstruation prevented me from joining the next activity of the day - kayaking. The camp guide taught us how to build a kayak just by using tyres, planks of wood and strings. However, the limited resources limited to three groups per kayak. As my group tied the strings almost finished tying the strings, the committees suddenly changed their minds and asked us to go to the other's kayak. The kayak that was given to us was not even tied properly in many places. We booed and rejected but, carried on with determination and speed. However, we were unable to finish it in time.

This was where the committees taught us our first lesson: the world is unfair.

Then, we were then asked to race each other on the lake in the middle of the camp ground. As I could not participate, I could only show my support by shouting for my group. In the end, my group won although I kena marah by the committees for shouting and disturbing others. And then, we were asked to do the most frustrating and irritating thing - to bathe in 25 minutes. I hated this activity because it really brings me a lot of trouble although the feeling at the end is satisfying.

Then, a Treasure Hunt began. Surprisingly, this was where we learnt our second lesson: bathing at camp = didn't bathe at all because we sweat in the end. However, everyone began and torchlights flashed here and there as we began searching for clues to the next clue. After a simple dinner, there was a Public Speaking held. Each topic was different for everyone. I find this quite a headache as we have to think of the isi for each topic until our name was called for the particular topic. My topic which was given to me was "Emotion".

Time flies so fast and before I knew anything, Solo Drop began. The activity which caused all our hearts to raced and our breaths began quickly and shallow as we listened to the forest guide's advice. The key word given to us was "Batu" along with a number for each individual. My number was 35. And then, the walk began on that dark night. It was starless and cloudy, and the atmosphere was tensed and quiet. We tried to keep up with each other as we were involved in our thoughts during the 15 minutes walk.

Anyway, the lights that were seen was rare as the only sources are only lamp posts and hand-held torchlights by the forest guide and his helpers. You might be asking - where is your torchlight? Well, our torchlights were kept by the committees to prevent cheating in this game. Solo Drop was meant to test our bravery and I hope, obedience. However, lets get on with the explanation then. =)

The chirping of the many unseen insects that lurk around in the night had decided to gather that night and to form an orchestra for their rare visitors to the jungle at night time.The volume for the highly musical notes increased rapidly when we were at the outskirts of the tropical jungle. There, we trekked through uneven stone paths for another few minutes before the "dropping" begans.

I felt someone tapped me by the shouder when it was my turn, and went to sit on the patch of grass that his torchlight had shone onto the ground. Hugging the my dad's bag which were full of necessities in case the unthinkable happens, I sat down without thinking twice and just looked straight towards the patch of stones by the side of the rocky path. my mind was blurred, and my eyesight could not really focus as Fatigue had come to claim me for the time being. My mind became alert as I heard footsteps walking behind me, but I brushed it off as I fell into a light sleep.

However, I woke up (after who knows how long) and the"orchestra" which was not so disturbing just now became more and more irritating to my ears. I began wishing that I can be "picked up" quickly by the forest guide as my feet became increasingly numb and I began to feel increasingly bored. Occasionally, I saw people walked past and I saw torchlights in the distance. Whether or not they exist in the real world, I dare not confirm. In fact, the boredom and the weak image received and interpreted by my brain had led my sense of hearing became increasingly sharp.

The cold wind blew against my back and around me made me thank Ka Yean silently for advising me to wear my jacket before taking this trip to the forest. And then, I thought I heard Chze Zheng called my name. Furthermore, I heard flutes (the recorders taught to us by teachers during our primary school days) were heard being played back and forth along this road. My eyes stared with surprise as I remembered the frightening dream I had almost two months ago.

I began chanting and praying. The feeling of me having to be alive and living through this was strong as I remembered I have left many things back home, uncompleted and unsaid. I waited and waited before I saw a light at the right hand-side of me. I could only looked at it weakly, wishing that the guy was finally here to pick me up. It came nearer and nearer, and this light of hope made me more and more anxious. Finally, after what seems like an hour, it was finally my turn.

The guy knelt in front of me and shone the torchlight straight at my face. He asked the keyword and wanted the paper which my number was written on it. I gave him and joined the line at the back. As I held Ka Yean's hand tightly, tears of relieve ran down my cheeks. I have finally made it through this frightening task. I have finally made it without succumbing to my fears and running away. And from this experience, I had made it back to camp.

Stronger than before.

Braver than before.

Grateful than before.

The walk back was less tensed as many of us tried to chat a little before reaching camp. As most of us were tired, the concerned committees had already hired a jeep for us to be taken back, jeep by jeep. For me, I was one of the last to be taken back. The ride was uneventful and breezy, and I was sad it all had to end. The committees then briefed us at LDK 6 about the rules and regulations of the night before asking us to turn in for the night.

the 2nd day

Hmm.. They woke us up with the whistle and we went jogging around the lake as ordered. It wasn't bad as I had wanted to lose calories. However, the only thing that was rejecting this action were my muscles and body ache. After breakfast, all of us embarked on the awaited journey - jungle trekking. Yes, it means we have to walk through paths and roads towards our destination - a waterfall situated in the middle of a jungle. The journey was tiring, and we went through the same path where we had went for Solo Drop last night. In fact, we went through puddles of waters, raging leeches, fallen leaves and bamboos and cool and clear rivers just to reach the waterfall.


The journey towards the waterfall was quite peaceful. I get to see the greens of the leaves of the trees surrounding us, a scenary which could not be seen in the dark hours of the night the night before. I get to breathe cool and pure forest air, which is a big difference from the city air which we were used ti breathing in. I get to walk away all my calories and fat, an action which could not done in the normal routine of my daily life.


After crossing three rivers, we reached the waterfall. It was kind of worth it when you get to see the joyful faces of the members around you as they have fun splashing and pumping (?!) in the cold water. In fact, only a handful were attacked by unwanted leeches. The walk back was a little bit extreme as the difficulties we encountered on our way up are a bit harder to cross on our way down. However, with the teamwork and determination shown by all, we manage to reach the outskirts of the jungle and had began trekking up the tar road leading towards our camp site in good time.


Then, there was the time when each group must performed a drama. The committees that had given us 9 characters and 1 narrator had expected us to include all of the characters inside. With teamwork and confidence, we passed this drama with ease. After this, we were brought to the lakeside so that a person-in-charge can teach us how to use a lifejacket properly, how to dive into the water in an emergency etc. It was fun, and the lake water was a bit green but normal to our body temperature.


There was also an event called Amazing Race which is something like the real Amazing Race which can be watched on the idiot box every now and then. The rules and the game is almost the same. It involves determination, speed, teamwork and knowledge, something which we are all familiar about. Therefore, I am not going so deep into this.


And then, the time came for the Team Building event. The committees asked us each group to built a 80cm straw tower that not only can hold an egg in place, but to also not fall down when it was being blown by Zhen Xuan. Worse still, we had to communicate with each other for 10 minutes using only our body language as our mouths cannot be used. Despite the obstacles that faced us, I must admit that our group did a great work creating and designing it without using our mouths. In fact, although the Galleons' (Green Team) tower would not even move, I still think Saphira's tower is quite amazing as the structure of the building is unique.


After that, the committees built a huge camp fire on the Tai Chi Plains and made all of us, ex-committees and Mdm. Chia Pick Kwan and Mdm. Teh Sau Leng to gather there for a fun time. The committees taught us how to dance a new dance and how to the dance to the music of a chinese song. It was too bad that the rain had to interrupted our fun time. That was when everybody rushed back to LDK 6 and a towel was passed around to dry our hairs.


Hmm.. After that, it was Camper's Reflection. Each group including the Yellow Warriors (Yellow Group), Blue Eagles (Blue Group) and Maple (Orange Group) sat in one circle and hear about another one's reflection and thoughts. Of all the people in my group, Dennis' comment struck me the most.


"I prefer the Ulang you."


It's true actually. I also preferred the Ulang me. The only difference between then and now was that I was struck by many emotions in between. I could not handle most of it all at once and had decided to become emo. I was tired of all those tears and the pain that my heart felt. And, I know very well how this will affect me during Leadership Camp - the perfect time to prove ourselves. To tell the truth, the pain I felt was also one of the reasons why I cried easily these days.


Dennis.


Chang Meng.


I don't know whether I had read wrongly, but I thought I saw dissapointment in your eyes.


Dissapointment that I did not live up to my standards as a leader and as an assistant that helped my group to achieve greatness.


Dissapointment that there was almost no life in me or in my soul.


I am sorry. It won't happen again. I promise you.


When the right time comes again, you will see that I have changed into someone who is deemed worthy.


But, for now.. Lets get on with the camp. Where am I?


the 3rd day


The last day of camp. It was wanted, yet unwanted. As usual, we jogged around the lake before heading up to highlands to play Mission Impossi-ball. The game is almost like Dodgeball. However, we have to protect our own Penasihat otherwise we will also lose. After much screaming, clapping, cheering, sweating and searching, the winner was announced. It was Saphira!


Ohm Saphira! Ohm Saphira! Ohm, Ohm, Ohm Saphira! ^^


After moving all our luggage to the main gate of the campsite, each of us posed a photo, whether it was a group photo or a full LM photo. =) Then, the ride home began. It was warm and comfortable, in my seat on the bus back to school. As I looked out the window sleepily, I looked at the wonders of the kampung life - something which we may not see in the future again. Jian Fei, who was sitting beside me, was writing very fast into his diary. I looked at him, totally impressed. Nothing can stop this guy from finishing a task which have to be done in time.


Anyway, I slept. At school, we get to know who was our Guardian Angel and we did our last tepukan, whether it was orders from Chang Meng or from our own doing.. We cannot deny the fact.


It was the end of camp.


Yet, it was the new beginning for all of us as each of us walk away with new experiences and knowledge towards the new obstacles in life.


-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-


To my fellow group members and my Guardian Angel:


Thanks for all the care, support and friendship during the time before, during and after camp. I was really touched.


To Narongrit,


Good luck. You have the makings of becoming a good leader.


To Yee Sim, Ka Yean and Amy,


You also did a lot. Thanks for your contribution.


To Jian Fei and Wen Yiang,


Lets improve ourselves together as we walk down the road of Life.


To Pau Yee and Sau Wei,


You missed a lot. Take care of your health.


To Dennis and Chang Meng,


Thanks for pointing out my weaknesses. I am currently on the road to eliminate them once and for all.


To everyone who joined the camp,


Without you, LM Leadership Camp wouldn't be LM Leadership Camp as you are missing. Thanks for joining, as you also had taught me something.


tO b3 conTinu3d..


p.S.


I dreamed a dream in time gone by
When hope was high and life worth living
I dreamed that love would never die
I dreamed that God would be forgiving.
Then I was young and unafraid
When dreams were made and used and wasted
There was no ransom to be paid
As they tear your hopes apart
As they turn your dreams to shame.
And still I dream he'll come to me
And we will live our lives together
But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are storms we cannot weather..
I had a dream my life would be
So different from this hell I'm living
So different now from what it seems
Now life has killed
The dream I dreamed.

Comments

Popular Posts